1929 Caterpillar

P1070405

Caterpillar

Purchased in 1929, the Two Ton Caterpillar was used to tow a variety of equipment, including the Steamers, during it’s active service. These jobs were previously done by horses, who were soon put into a well deserved retirement upon the Caterpillar’s purchase.

The Caterpillar is still in working condition and, with a little persuasion, will start up without a problem!

1929 Caterpillar in action

1929 Caterpillar in action

Restoration of the 1929 Caterpillar 

Upon retirement from the Fire Department, the Caterpillar was put to work at various mining operations in the region. In 1995, it was located and re-acquired by the Museum, kindly being donated to us by the then owner Tony Hanulik.  Still in working order, but in need of restoration, it was sent away to an Ian Bremner, who restored it to it`s present condition, delivering it back to the Museum in 1997, to take it`s place amongst our other exhibits.

Deputy Chief Taylor drives the pre-restoration Caterpillar

Deputy Chief Taylor drives the pre-restoration Caterpillar – Summer 1995

Our Master Mechanic Eric Blatter inspects the newly restored Caterpillar - June 1997

Our master mechanic Eric Blattler inspects the newly restored Caterpillar – June 1997